Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Easy easy mac and cheesey.

Big dog is a macaroni and cheese junkie. He jonzes for his fix the same way I jonze for coffee, so I have a hard time denying him. Truth be told, I love macaroni and cheese too, it is easy, I usually have the ingredients in the house, and I love having leftovers for lunches. The added plus is that I get to be a superhero, the loving provider of macaroni and cheese. All I need is a cape.

I have posted other recipes for macaroni and cheese, but this is my fallback recipe. It is simple and tastes great.

Followthatdog's Basic, Unadorned Macaroni and Cheese (aka. Big Dog's fix)
4Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk (I use 1% or nonfat most times, because that's what we have, but any % works just fine)
12 oz shredded sharp cheddar (aka. 1 package of Trader Joe's Organic Shredded Sharp Cheddar)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
fresh grated nutmeg

I lb pasta of your choice. We like Trader Joe's Multigrain Fusili with flax, but use what you have on hand.

Cook your pasta according to the package instructions.
While your water is coming to a boil, melt your butter in a medium sized sauce pan. When the butter is melted and is no longer sizzling, whisk in your flour. Let it fully coat the flour and cook for about a minute,
Add your milk, whisking wildly to avoid clumps. Keep stirring over medium heat until the white sauce thickens to a good cheese sauce consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in your grated cheese one handful at a time, letting each handful melt before adding the next. Once the cheese is all melted, stir in the Worcestershire sauce and add 3 or 4 good gratings of fresh nutmeg (or a smallish shake of ground nutmeg if you don't)

Drain the pasta, add the cheese sauce and sit back and be lauded as a Macaroni and Cheese making god. Go on, do it. It feels great.

No comments: