Monday, August 18, 2008

Curried Eggs, humor me.

It sounds super exotic, and it tastes great, but this is a weird little recipe I've pulled from Everyday Foods magazine (March 2008) and modified to make more enticing for our family.

I have this feeling you're going to read the recipe and think, "Holy crap, that sounds terrible! Why would she eat this?" and I assure you, it is actually really really good. Give it a try, you can thank me later.

Curried Eggs

8 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
1 jar good quality marinara sauce (I use the Trader Joe's Organic Marinara)
2. tbsp olive oil
1 medium sweet onion cut in half and sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (I'll give you a tip on how to do this in the steps that follow)
2 tbsp good quality curry powder (don't cheap out on this, the good stuff is worth it)
Salt to taste
Low fat plain yogurt (about a cup for 4 people)

In a medium sized sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the garlic and onion and fry until soft.
Add the ginger and heat for about a minute, then dump in the marinara sauce. I used a big piece of fresh ginger, washed and grated with my microplane. I don't peel it and I don't worry about the little chunks that fall in as I grate happily away. If I knew who developed the microplane for cooking, I'd probably kiss them. I love mine and use them all the time.
Add your curry powder. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then add your whole peeled hard boiled eggs. Keep on the heat until the eggs are warm through, about 5 more minutes.

Serve over rice or not (we don't since Mr. Dog has some sick aversion to rice, but you probably don't live with a similarly afflicted individual, so go for it!) Top with about 1/4 cup yogurt.

Serves 4.

As with many spice-rich foods, this is even better as leftovers. I love the way the flavors mingle after a night in the fridge, and the fact that the eggs turn a sunny happy yellow from the curry powder doesn't hurt either. Who doesn't love bright yellow globes for lunch?

No comments: