Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thinking inside the box.

Mr. Dog thinks I'm nuts, but I really love making Big Dog beautiful bento style lunches. We have a couple of the Laptop Lunchboxes and I try to use them to their fullest. Not only does it encourage me to have more diversity in his lunch, it makes for less waste, and more crafty-mom fun when I pack them. Mr. Dog still thinks I'm nuts.

Is is sad or crazy that I love making roll up sandwiches and packing them like maki rolls? Is it bizarre that I strive to have them filled with wonderful colors so they visually pop when you open the box? Yes? Ok, then maybe Mr. Dog is right. Still, Big Dog loves them, so I'm going to continue making them.

Last night we pulled together a new fancy roll up. Smoked salmon cream cheese, shaved cucumber and shredded carrot all wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla. And yeah, he eats that. If you have it handy, add some fresh spinach to the mix and it will be even prettier when cut into rolls.

Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Spread.
1 12 oz tub Light Spreadable cream cheese (Trader Joe's is what I use-are you sensing a theme?- but any light cream cheese would work.)
1 can smoked salmon, skin removed (again with the Trader Joe's, it's like I'm obsessed) If you can't get a canned smoked salmon, use a chunk of hot smoked salmon, not lox. about 6 oz. You can use more if you'd like. I have and it only gets better the more salmon you add.

Dump your two ingredients into your mixer and whip until it is all smooth and salmon-y. Sounds too easy right? It's one of those things that makes you feel like a kitchen rock star, but any slacker could do.

And is it good? After having a taste, Big Dog looked up at me and said "If I never have more of this, my life would be.....harder." So there you go, it makes life easier for a 4 year old, it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, makes a mean roll up and stores well in the fridge. What more could you want?

1 comment:

mamikaze said...

these will be on my school lunch menu for sure! Fluffy loves tortillas.