Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cocktails for the more or less grown ups.

Wednesday night is for cocktails. Yes, Wednesday. Might not have been that way back before I had kids, but now that I'm a mother of two, my cocktail hour takes place right before I settle in to watch Project Runway with Auntie Chihuahua (not an actual chihuahua, but as close to it as you can get in human form-and no, that's not an insult). The adults have real cocktails and the kids get their own alcohol0-free variation on the theme.

I've been getting recipes and inspiration from Lucy Brennan's Hip Sips, but last night decided to branch out on my own and whip up my own concoction. A quick aside, if you ever are in Portland, I highly recommend you head over to 82o, the cocktails are fantastic, the bar food is amazing and the barstaff are good scenery. Thanks to my sister for introducing me to this fab place.

Now back to my cocktail. As you may know, I work in the software development field. We work under insane deadlines to make cool stuff. And as great as this job is most of the year, the insane deadline part is looming over my head right now. We had a deadline, and missed it. This is not good. No one is happy. I'm not happy, my co-managers are not happy, my manager is not happy, the VP is not happy. You get the picture. So imagine the stress of an already insane deadline compounded by the stress of being checked up on. Frequently checked up on. Checked up on with things like "Are we ever going to ship this thing?" and "How did we not know this was a problem before now?" Really really not good. So at the end of the day, especially cocktail Wednesday you need a drink.

And this is what I made.

Day for Day Slip
1 1/2 oz Pearl Pomegranate Vodka
1/2 oz Harlequin Orange liqueur
1 oz lemon/lime juice
1 oz simple syrup
1 oz Pomegranate juice
2 tbsp mandarin puree

Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake briskly for 10 seconds, strain into a highball glass.

And for the kids.....

The Daily Check In
1 oz lemon lime juice
2 oz Pomegranate juice
2 Tbsp. Mandarin puree
1/2 oz simple syrup
club soda to fill the glass

Mix all ingredients in a child friendly glass and serve.

Simple Syrup
In a medium sized sauce pan, combine 2 cups bakers sugar and 2 cups water, heat until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is clear.

Lemon Lime Juice
1 bottle Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice
1 bottle Santa Cruz Organic Lime Juice
Mix together and store in your fridge. You can also squeeze fresh lemons and limes and combine equal parts lemon and lime juices, but I'm under enough stress and Lucy Brennan says the Santa Cruz Organic brand is good enough for her, so who am I to resist the easy way out?

Mandarin Puree
Use fresh Mandarin oranges
10 Peeled and seeded mandarin oranges
2 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp water

Puree in a blender until smooth, then strain and store in the freezer in an airtight container.

To answer a couple of questions you probably have after reading this recipe:

Yes, I do have simple syrup, mandarin puree and lemon lime juice in my home at all times.

Yes, I do take cocktails seriously

Yes, I am a bit overly serious about cocktails.

Yes, it is every bit as delicious as you think it sounds.

1 comment:

Maura said...

Seriously YUM sounding! I had no idea you were a mixologist at heart. I like to collect interesting drink recipes...which I then almost never make. I'll have to send you some, since it seems like you'd actually enjoy them!

Sorry to hear about the missed deadline -- it sucks having people then hover like that, making it then almost impossible to actually accomplish the goal.