Thursday, March 13, 2008

Even filo couldn't save it

My mom used to make a vegetarian entree, Vegetable Strudel, way back when I first became a vegetarian. I don't know where the recipe came from, but I do remember how much I liked it. A lot. I've asked for the recipe a few times over the years, but it has yet to be handed over. Considering that many of my mom's recipes are stored in a giant electric wok leads me to believe this is not out of malice or desire to keep me strudel-hungry, but from a lack of recipe organization. (she should get a blog!)

In my recent quest to cook outside of my old standards, I googled it and got a recipe. Unfortunately this recipe didn't quite work out as I remembered. The flavors were great, but the overall consistency was too wet. When I rolled the strudel, it made a big soggy log, not a compact roll. Even after it was baked, it was too runny. Not sure what went wrong, since I think this recipe is pretty close to what my mom used. I think I may need to cook off the moisture a bit more before I add the cheese. I thought of that at the time, but since the cheese was in the pot, that ship had sailed.

Here is the Vegetable Strudel recipe I used. I am going to try it again at some point and work to offset the extra moisture. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: