Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I scream, you scream we all scream for....meatloaf?

So while I was writing a touching story of my children's expression of love for their meat, it dawned on me.  Maybe I should capture the recipe I used, ok, made up that went over so well.
I can't vouch for the tastiness of the recipe since I don't eat meat, but I can say that my children do not always vocalize their love for a meal with this level of intensity.  Seriously, I'm feeling a little displaced in their hearts right now. 

Lovable Meatloaf
1 lb ground pork
1.5 lbs ground lean beef (15% fat)
1 tsp dry thyme (I would have used 1/4 chopped fresh parsley, but I forgot to buy it)
4 slices of good quality whole wheat bread
1 large onion
2 carrots (biggish ones, not the small ones in your pack of carrots)
3 garlic cloves
Kosher salt
pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
In your food processor (side note-expect A LOT of recipes to include this step since I got my new food processor for my birthday - thanks Mr. Dog!  Seriously, that thing is awesome.) chop your onion, garlic and carrot into smallish pieces.  Sure you could do this with a knife, but the food processor is so much more fun!  Once it is all kind of chopped up, dump it in a big bowl.  Put your bread into the food processor and process it into largish sized crumbs.  Dump this into the bowl too.  Add the thyme and a few big pinches of salt, a few grinds of pepper and mix all of this together.  Add your meat and mix it until it is pretty well mixed with the food processored ingredients.  Add your egg and Worcestershire sauce, and mix that in.  
Line a baking sheet with parchment.  Use a loaf pan to form the meat mixture into a loaf.  I'll be pretty big, but trust me, if your kids like it as much as my kids do, you'll welcome the leftovers.
Bake for about 45 minutes, maybe longer, until a meat thermometer inserted in the middle of the loaf reads 155 degrees.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.  

2 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like a great recipe. My husband makes a good meatloaf. He also shapes the loaf(ves) into shapes. We've eat a head, a woman's torso, a football, and a flower shaped meatloaf.

Weird, isn't he?

followthatdog said...

I think your husband sounds like he'd fit in at our house just fine. Not sure how I'd feel about the torso, but the idea is hilarious.