Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I guess it could be bat.

There are things I think the kids will never agree to eat.  Last week it was mussels, this week it was bat.  Not real bat.  Fish that I called bat, really, but they thought it was bat.  Turns out these guys will eat just about anything.  But it was good.  Even if I was calling it bat.

Fish masquerading as bat
3 good sized tilapia fillets (I don't normally like tilapia either, just humor me)
1/2 all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup lemon juice

On a dinner plate or shallow pan mix the flour and salt.  Dredge the tilapia fillets.  In a frying pan, melt 1 Tbsp of butter and pan fry your tilapia fillets.  They cook pretty quickly.  A few minutes on each side should do it but it really depends on the thickness of the fillets.  Once the fillets are cooked, take them out of the pan and set them aside.  Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the pan, toss in the capers and the lemon juice and cook over high heat until reduced.  It will be a couple of table spoons of really tangy sauce.  Once it is reduce, top the fillets with the sauce and serve.

I like this combo with broccoli, but a salad or green beans would also be a nice side.  For us thee fillets makes enough to have both the boys and Mr. Dog asking for more at the end of the meal.  They're big eaters.  I think next time I'll make 4 fillets and it should be enough.  You don't have to tell them it's bat.  But you can.


No comments: