Thursday, July 14, 2011

From the oddly stocked pantry

Sometimes I don't really plan meals, they spring forth from my cupboards, pieced together from odds and ends of my various shopping trips.  I don't think my pantry is quite usual since I pick up things that sound good or look good and if they're storable, it is likely that they will sit on my shelf until a night like tonight.  We are just back from a family trip and I have not done the usual shopping run.  I did manage to pick up some salmon last night, but that's about it, so I went to the cupboard, and this is what I ended up with.

Wild Yam Noodles with Peanut Sauce

1 12 oz package of Wild Yam Noodles (purchased on a whim at the local international market)

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 of a medium sized shallot
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger (fresh would probably be better, but I didn't have it so there ya go)

Cook the yam noodles according to the package (in this case, the quaintly worded package that urged me to "Please do stir the noodles with chop stick").  While they are cooking put all the other ingredients into your food processor and process until smooth.  When the noodles are cooked, drain and toss with the peanut sauce.  Yep, that's it.

I served mine with broiled salmon that had been brushed with soy sauce and mirin and added a side salad of butter lettuce dressed with rice wine vinegar and olive oil.

Enjoy.

No comments: