Thursday, April 24, 2008

I need a tropical vacation

but since that isn't likely to happen any time soon, I guess I'll settle for some salsa. This week has been a killer and I am tired down to my core. The weather has been nuts, we've had everything from sunshine to snow. I kid you not, snow in late April? Just where am I living? Antarctica? No, Seattle. So odd.
I wish I could follow my sun-seeker instincts and fly off to some little island paradise. (Well, an island paradise where no one will see me in a bathing suit.) There is nothing I'd like better than to slap on some sunscreen and traipse along a deserted beach somewhere. I know that the likelihood of that happening now, or in the foreseeable future is about just about as likely as me looking great in a bikini in this lifetime. My solution? Mango salsa. Yes, salsa. Seriously, top a nice piece of fish with some of this sunshine in a bowl and I can almost imagine I'm warm. So here it is, my foolproof mango salsa recipe:

Beach Cabana in a Bowl:
1 large ripe mango, chopped into a smallish dice
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and minced
1 lime
1 big handful of fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
kosher salt

Here's the easy part, put all of the chopped items in a bowl, squeeze the juice of the lime over it, and mix. Add kosher salt to taste, yeah it sounds odd, but the sweet mango needs it to get the right bite. Let the salsa sit for about an hour before you use it. You can use it right away but letting it sit a while lets the flavors mingle a bit. I also like to squeeze the pulp left attached to the pit in my fist over the bowl of mango cubes just to get all of the $3-bucks-a-pop juicy goodness out of that bad boy, but you can omit that step if you want.

I like to serve it over broiled salmon fillets, but it works just as well as a dip for tortilla chips or a topping for tacos. Go wild.

Now, can someone pass me the sunscreen?

No comments: