Thursday, February 28, 2008

But Real Boys DO Eat Quiche

And they love it. I think of it as one of my lazy mom meals and frequently make this when I am wiped out from a hard day at the office. A nice plus to this recipe is that it is tasty and "fancy" enough that I can serve it to guests and not look like a total slacker.
I can't make a pie crust to save my life, somehow I am missing that gene, but there are some damn good store bought options out there. My personal favorite is a Whole Wheat Organic pie crust I found in the freezer department at PCC, but any pie shell will work. In a pinch, I use the Marie Callender's pie shells since they don't contain lard, but they lack the nutty goodness and Alpha mom appeal of the whole wheat version. The kids don't seem to mind the difference, but nutritionally the whole grain version is better, and I prefer it.

My personal recipe couldn't be easier:
2 frozen pie shells (or home made crusts, unbaked- if you are an overachiever)
1 8 oz package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 cage-free large eggs
4 cups milk (whole, low fat or even fat free)
3-4 cups chopped broccoli florettes or 1 package frozen broccoli

Preheat oven to 350.
In a mixing bowl, mix eggs and milk with a fork. Add salt and pepper if you like, or leave it and let people add it at the table.
Put half of the cheese in the bottom of each pie shell. Top cheese with the broccoli. Pour half of the egg/milk mixture in each shell.
Place both uncooked quiches on a baking sheet and place in on the middle rack of the oven. bake for about 40 minutes or until the top of the quiche is slightly domed and doesn't jiggle when the pan is wiggled. Start checking on this about 30 minutes, there is nothing less tasty than an overcooked quiche.
When the quiche is done cooking, let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.

My boys love this recipe and ask for it regularly. Cold quiche makes a great lunch entree so I have taken to making two at a time. You can easily cut this recipe in half to make a single quiche, but you'll kick yourself after it is eaten up and you want one more slice for lunch so I don't recommend it.
I like to serve this with cut up fruit or a salad, but in a pinch, it can be a stand-alone meal.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh this sounds so good. I totally have to make this! Thanks!

Nadine said...

This one is definitely my favorite! I might try to make it this week.

Tammy said...

hmmm...this is something that not only I could make, but that my family might actually eat!!

Skye said...

Sounds yummy! I think my kids might even eat it as well!!!